Pages

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Who would have ever thought....

So you’re probably asking yourself (if you don’t already know) two questions: 1. Why did she start a blog? and 2. What does she mean by “Who would have ever thought”? Let me start off by saying that I had always had an interest in doing a blog but I never really had a real reason to do one up until recently. See… I wanted to do one based on my love for cupcakes and all the baking that I do but really… who cares right? :) There are many of those out there and hey, maybe at the end I will change my mind but for now let me answer question #1.

Back in December my mom was diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer. She had a lumpectomy in January, started chemo in February and will have her last chemo treatment on May 11! Which is super exciting for all us because I think the worst is over for her. Soon she will start her radiation for about 5-6 weeks Monday through Friday and after that she will be done with all her treatments. YEAH!!! During my mom’s journey she started a journal documenting her thoughts and feelings about having to deal with breast cancer and that’s when I thought, “She should do a blog!” Well I ran that idea by her and she wasn’t too thrilled about the idea. So here comes the answer to question #2...

Because there has been a history of breast cancer in our family, Yia Yia had it at age 82 and now with mom at the age of 61, I considered getting a mammogram JUST TO BE SAFE! I had never had one nor am I at the age where women need to start getting checked but I went ahead and did it.

I knew that getting a mammogram wasn’t going to take very long but when they tell you that they see something and need to do a sonogram I figured they were probably seeing things or this could be something serious. So, I did the sonogram and the doctor still couldn’t tell what is was and the proceeded to tell me that I need a biopsy. Was I scared? No not really because I knew it was going to be nothing. I’m too young for anything to be bad...

A couple days later I got the biopsy done which to my surprise was not painful at all. Three weeks later I get the news…..”You have invasive ductal carcinoma.” My first reaction was, “And that is what?” Working in the medical field I knew exactly what it was but you still don’t think that is what you heard. My second reaction…”Are you freaking kidding me?!” and no they weren’t. I felt like someone had punched me in the stomach and I wanted to vomit! I knew for sure that I was going to wake up from a bad dream and that this was not happening. Not now.

Who would have ever thought that I would have breast cancer too!

As a result to all of this, I choose to do this blog. What a better way for me to journal my experience and be able to share it with my family and friends. So on that note….stay tuned because this is going to be a bumpy ride! :)

No comments: